Thursday, November 6, 2014

Thur., Nov.6

Today's Cryptic clues include
Solutions to these clues are in the grids below.


LAT

 . . . . 

Seattle Times
(NYT //14)

Here are the solutions to yesterday's clues:

Guy | with | a lip stick (4)
[CHAP] [=] [CHAP{stick}]

Sounds like he | borrowed a lot | for | a Greek vase | and stuff (3)
[homophone] [OWED] [=] [ODE {to a Grecian Urn}] [for example]

It may give light | to a | leaking | chamber (3,4)
[WET CELL {battery}] [=] [WET] [CELL {in a prison or monastary}]

West's | turn from | a rocky vein (4)
[MAE {west}'S] [reverse] [=] [SEAM]

Germ begs scad | of compositors | (about | fifty) | for | puréed caviar (9,4)
[GERM BEGS SCAD] [anagram] [containing] [L {roman numeral}] [=] [SCRAMBLED EGGS]


If you are only reading the main entries on this blog, you're only reading part of it! The comments are often more interesting and informative than the main entries, so check them out even if you don't plan to add one yourself! Please post comments, guesses, questions, partial answers, rationales, alternative clues, or anything even marginally related.
 

3 comments:

  1. Owen

    First, I just sent you an email.

    Second, with regards my recent clues/comments that were too obscure/obtuse,

    ST3: Bubbles and rises around the beginning of the aughts (6)
    Your comments:I thought I saw SURGED+A and wondered how you got rid of the U, then noticed it would need an anagram indicator, not just reversal. Looked at EN'OLS, T'R'OR, S'IPES & T'OGEH but drew a blank on them, too, so this one is a miss for me.

    My response. I rather cheekily copied your phrasing “beginning of the aughts” for a different purpose. In this case I was referring to what many people have suggested as a name for the first decade of this century - the AUGHTS; the Brits have naturally coined it “the naughties (or noughties). So the beginning of the aughts is MM (yes I know that some have disputed this and claimed that MMI was the true beginning of the century and millennium). Then it is just “rises” anagrammed around MM => SIMMERS = bubbles. I put “around” into dual service as “surrounding” AND a rearrangement indicator – I thought that was good enough.

    Your comment [I did not get] your allusions about (1) "Bonny’s mate" & (2) "I thought she was in the Old Testament!".

    My response. (1). This was in reference to IVORY

    Fooled by punctuation, perhaps? What I wrote was “……, Eh? Bonny’s mate.” I did not give a “[roughly] sounds like” indicator, but you get it now: “Ebony’s mate” = Ivory.

    (2) This was in reference to EVENT”. "I thought she was in the Old Testament!". Just a simple reparse: EVE-New Testament = EVE-NT.

    Now back to today.

    NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! my ST3 (SIMMERS) should have been 7 letters. Very 'umble apologies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's 2 for today from Seattle Times:

    ST1: Ruler somewhere in the Middlle East (sounds like a ruler!) and acts like a ruler (6)

    ST2: “Murder, she wrote” lacks the masculine touch but still dominates (6)

    ReplyDelete